On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> For example, take a look at Alex Warth's "Worlds" work (and paper) and see
> how that might be used to deal with larger problems of consistency and
> version control in a live system.

I just read this paper for the first time.  Very nice work; I think it
is a nice generalization of the software transactional memory work
that's been done recently.  At the same time, it has some of the same
drawbacks (especially in regard to managing external side effects,
like from I/O).

On the other hand, there's been a lot of work done on efficient
implementations of transactional memory in software and hardware, and
worlds can benefit from this fairly directly.  For example, (to cite
my own work): Unbounded Transactional Memory is a straightfoward cache
modification which would make worlds scalable
(http://cscott.net/Publications/HPCA05/hpca05-camera.pdf) and
functional arrays provide a mechanism for decoupling the performance
of the implementation from the size of the "chain of worlds" to allow
deep undo-trees, as described in
http://cscott.net/Publications/scool05.pdf and my thesis.  In
particular, I recommend Tyng-Ruey Chuang’s implementation of shallow
binding
(http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Publication/313627/a-randomized-implementation-of-multiple-functional-arrays
).
  --scott