Alan,

> [second part was about wafer scale memories]

That was a great idea and was eventually adopted by DRAM makers to
increase yields (spare rows that could replace faulty ones at
manufacturing test time). These days losses due to cutting up the wafers
or encapsulation are pretty low, but I am still very interested in wafer
scale technology.

I think Mosys is using your idea and got a patent on it:

http://www.mosys.com/technology.php

The first claim in their second patent says:

"1. A semiconductor circuit on a substrate comprising:

    at least one circuit block which includes a plurality of replaceable
circuit modules, each including a software programmable identification
circuit with a unique preset address code; and at least one redundant
circuit module in the at least one circuit block, the redundant circuit
module including a software programmable identification circuit
programmable with a unique preset address code."

Dividing memory into small blocks is good for saving energy since only
the addressed one has to be active.

Thanks for the Paul Rovner and Denis Seror references about the disk
thing. And thanks to Shaun Gilchrist for the DCPL reference. I haven't
been able to download it yet (all my attempts time out near the end) but
will try it on a faster network to see if I have better luck. It is
interesting that I wasn't able to find this text starting from the home
page and using the various search options. Makes me wonder what other
interesting stuff might be hidden there.

Bert,

thanks for reminding me about the option to "create textual references
to dropped morphs" in Squeak. That is pretty close to what I want,
though not as general. I don't remember if the MathMorphs guys had
something like this.

Michael,

your solution is a little more indirect than dragging arrows in Self
since you have to create a global, which is what I would like to avoid.
Not to mention that one solution is direct manipulation while the other
is typing and evaluating an expression. But between your solution and
Bert's it is obvious that the system can do what I want but the
limitation in the GUI.

-- Jecel