I've only been looking at Maru, but as I understand it Maru is supposed to
be an evolution of COLA (ie Coke), and both object and lambda language. The
self hosting is important in that it can be treated as a first order entity
in the system, and I believe it's the smallest self hosting system
available (650 loc when optimised). I think the current plan is to port
Nile/gezira to Maru, and do away with Nothing - Maru is flexible enough to
act as a VM, cross compiler etc.