On 3/12/2012 6:31 PM, Josh McDonald wrote:
Since it's your own system end-to-end, why not just stop editing source as a stream of ascii characters? Some kind of simple structured editor would let you put whatever you please in strings without requiring any escaping at all. It'd also make the parsing simpler :)

although theoretically possible, I wouldn't really trust not having the ability to use conventional text editors whenever need-be (or mandate use of a particular editor).

for most things I am using text-based formats, including for things like world-maps and 3D models (both are based on arguably mutilated versions of other formats: Quake maps and AC3D models). the power of text is that, if by some chance someone does need to break out a text editor and edit something, the format wont hinder them from doing so.

but, yes, that "Inventing on Principle / Magic Ink" video did rather get my interest up in terms of wanting to support much more streamlined script-editing interface.

I recently had a bit of fun writing small script fragments to blow up light sources and other things, and figure if I can get a more advanced text-editing interface thrown together, more interesting things might also be possible.

"blow the lights", all nearby light sources explode (with fiery particle explosion effects and sounds), and the area goes dark.

current leaning is to try to throw something together vaguely QBasic-like (with a "proper" text editor, and probably F5 as the "Run" key, ...).

as-is, I already have an ed / edlin-style text editor, and ALT + 1-9 as console-change keys (and now have multiple consoles, sort of like Linux or similar), ... was considering maybe the fancier text editor would use ALT-SHIFT + A-Z for switching between modules. will see what I can do here.

or such...

--

"Enjoy every sandwich." - WZ

Josh 'G-Funk' McDonald