On 19 March 2012 16:40, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is basically what "publish and subscribe" schemes are all about.
> Linda is a simple "coordination protocol" for organizing such loose
> couplings. There are sketches of such mechanisms in most of the STEPS
> reports ....

This paper:

N. Busi and G. Zavattaro, “Publish/subscribe vs. shared dataspace
coordination infrastructures: Is it just a matter of taste?,” in
Proceedings Tenth IEEE International Workshop on Enabling Technologies:
Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises. WET ICE 2001, 2001.

... compares Linda-like to publish-subscribe models, and finds that while
Linda-like shared dataspaces can be expressed in terms of pub/sub, the
reverse isn't true. Shared dataspaces need to be augmented with a special
kind of global coordination operation (the authors conjecture that Linda
itself may have a sufficient primitive) to be able to express pub/sub
semantics.

I have a hunch that there's a deep relationship to dataflow/FRP here. I'm
looking into it right now, but progress is slow.

Cheers,
  Tony
--
Tony Garnock-Jones