Shaun,

> Here is my current attempt at replicating the diagram alongside the code laid
> out as in appendix III. http://order-of-no.posterous.com/st71-one-pager .

Shouldn't this be called st72-one-pager?

If I understood correctly, the software systems that were designed by
Alan were:

1) 1968/1969 - Flex

2) 1971 - Slogo (later Smalltalk-71) using pattern matching

3) 1972 - Visual language based on flow charts

4) 1972 - bet and one pager in appendix III

5) 1972 - Smalltalk-72: Dan Ingalls implements previous in Nova Basic

It seems to me that you are confusing 2 and 4. If you are indeed
interested in learning more about 4, then you should study the evolution
of 5:

http://ftp.squeak.org/goodies/Smalltalk-72/

-- Jecel