Going back to this post (to avoid distraction), I note that

Aggregate Level Simulation Protocol
   and its successor
High Level Architecture

Both provide "time management" to achieve consistency, i.e. "so that the
times for all simulations appear the same to users and so that event
causality is maintained – events should occur in the same sequence in all
simulations."

You should not conclude for simulations that it is easier to spawn a
process than to serialize things. You'll end up spawning a process AND
serializing things.

Regards,

Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_Level_Simulation_Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Architecture_(simulation)

The ALSP page goes into more detail on how this is achieved. HLA started as
the merging of Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS) with ALSP.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>wrote:

> Steven Robertson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Tom Novelli<tnove...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Even if there does turn out to be a simple and general way to do parallel
>>> programming, there'll always be tradeoffs weighing against it - energy
>>> usage
>>> and design complexity, to name two obvious ones.
>>>
>> To design complexity: you have to be kidding.  For huge classes of
> problems - anything that's remotely transactional or event driven,
> simulation, gaming come to mind immediately - it's far easier to
> conceptualize as spawning a process than trying to serialize things.  The
> stumbling block has always been context switching overhead.  That problem
> goes away as your hardware becomes massively parallel.
>
> Miles Fidelman
>
> --
> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

bringing s-words to a pen fight