On 5/9/2012 12:13 AM, Jarek Rzeszótko wrote:
There is an excellent video by Feynman on a related note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4y0EUlU-Y

A damn good way to spend six minutes IMO...

yep.

I was left previously trying to figure out whether "thinking using text" was more linguistic/verbal or visual thinking, given it doesn't really match well with either: verbal thinking is generally described as people thinking with words and sounds;
visual thinking is generally described as pictures / colors / emotions / ...

so, one can wonder, where does text fit?...

granted, yes, there is some mode-changing as well, as not everything seems to happen the same way all the time, and I can often "push things around" if needed (natural language can alternate between auditory and textual forms, ...).

I have determined though that I can't really read and also "visualize" the story (apparently, many other people do this), as all I can really see at the time is the text. probably because my mind is more busy trying to buffer up the text, and the space is already used up and so can't be used for drawing pictures (unless I use up a lot of the space for drawing a picture, in which case there isn't much space for holding text, ...).

I can also write code while also listening to someone talk, such as in a technical YouTube video or similar, since the code and person talking are independent (and usually relevant visuals are sparse and can be looked at briefly). but, I can't compose an email and carry on a conversation with someone at the same time, because they interfere (but I can often read and carry on a conversation though, though it is more difficult to entirely avoid "topical bleed-over").

despite thinking with lots of text, I am also not very good at math, as I still tend to find both arithmetic and "symbolic manipulation" type tasks as fairly painful (but, these are used heavily in math classes).

when actually working with math, in a form that I understand, it is often more akin to wireframe graphics. for example, I can "see" the results of a dot-product or cross-product (I can see the orthogonal cross-bars of a cross-product, ...), and can mentally let the system "play out" (as annotated/diagrammed 3D graphics) and alter the results and see what happens (and the "math" is the superstructure of lines and symbols interconnecting the objects).

yet, I can't usually do this effectively in math classes, and usually have to resort to much less effective strategies, such as trying to convert the problem into a C-like form, and then evaluating this in-head, to try to get an answer. similarly, this doesn't work unless I can figure out an algorithm for doing it, or just what sort of thing the question is even asking for, which is itself often problematic.

another irony is that I don't really like flowcharts, as I personally tend to see them as often a very wasteful/ineffective way of representing many of these sorts of problems. despite both being visually-based, my thinking is not composed of flow-charts (and I much prefer more textual formats...).

or such...

Cheers,
Jaros?aw Rzeszótko