Hi David

I think both of your essays are important, as is the general style of
aspiration.

The "ingredients of a soup" idea is one of the topics we were supposed to work
on in the STEPS project, but it counts as a shortfall: we wound up using our
time on other parts. We gesture at it in some of the yearly reports.

The thought was that a kind of "semantic publish and subscribe" scheme -- that
dealt in descriptions and avoided having to know names of functionalities as
much as possible -- would provide a very scalable loose coupling mechanism. We
were hoping to get beyond the pitfalls of attempts at program synthesis from
years ago that used pre-conditions and post-conditions to help matchers paste
things together.

I'm hoping that you can cast more light on this area. One of my thoughts is
that a good matcher might be more like a "dynamic discovery system" (e.g.
Lenat's "Eurisko") than a simple matcher ....

It's interesting to think of what the commonalities of such a system should be
like. A thought here was that a suitable descriptive language would be could be
should be lots smaller and simpler than a set of "standard conventions" and
"tags" for functionality....

Joe Goguen was a good friend of mine, and his early death was a real tragedy.
As you know, he spent many years trying to find sweet spots in formal semantics
that could also be used in practical ways...

Best wishes,

Alan