Take a look at the Inform 7 language (http://inform7.com/) and its modular
'rulebooks'.

Creating good rules-based languages isn't trivial, mostly because ad-hoc
rules can interfere in ways that are awkward to reason about or optimize.
Temporal logic (e.g. Dedalus, Bloom) and constraint-logic techniques are
both appropriate and effective. I think my RDP will also be effective.

Creating a good POL can be difficult. (cf.
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4653)

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM, John Carlson <yottz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone ever attempted to automatically add meaning, semantics, longer
> variable names, loops, and comments automatically to code?  Just how good
> are the beautifiers out there, and can we do better?
>
> No, I'm not asking anyone to break a license agreement.  Ideally, I would
> want this to work on code written by a human being--me.
>
> Yes, I realize that literate programming is the way to go.  I just have
> never explored other options before, and would like to know about the
> literature.
>
> Say I am trying to derive language for requirements and use cases based on
> existing source code.
>
> I believe this may be beyond current reverse engineering techniques which
> stop at the UML models.  I don't want models, I want text, perhaps written
> in a Problem Oriented Language (POL).
>
> That is, how does one derive a good POL from existing code?  Is this the
> same as writing a scripting language on top of a library?
>
> What approaches have been tried?
>
> Here's the POL I want.  I want a POL to describe game rules at the same
> order of magnitude as English.  I am not speaking of animation or
> resources--just rules and constraints.  Does the Object Constraint Language
> suffice for this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

bringing s-words to a pen fight