> You are speculating that it is too slow. Have you benchmarked it?

I didn't benchmark it.  Someone else did. The bechmarking was done right as
I was joining the project.  It's been a while.  The database team
controlled the REST services at the time.  I suspect, but am unsure, that
the REST service was fairly minimal, lightly layered on top of a relational
database.  There might have been features in the service that were ignored.
I didn't see any evidence of pipelining or session ids or putting
collections or posting collections (we were adding these).  I didn't even
realize until today that PUT and POST were used in REST for collections.
I'm going to do some reading.

Thank you all for blowing me out of the water.  I like it.