On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Loup Vaillant-David
<l...@loup-vaillant.fr>wrote:

> Err, what did you mean exactly?  Could Nile use hardware graphics on
>  the rPi? Why (not)?

> My current understanding is that to do this, we would have to
> interface with the rPi's firmware blob, effectively compiling Nile
> into using using openGL.  It looks that it's possible, though not
> optimal (not only in terms of speed, but also because it may require
> more code). Is that correct?

You ought to be able to compile it directly into the GPU's instruction set:

https://github.com/hermanhermitage/videocoreiv

https://github.com/hermanhermitage/videocoreiv/wiki/VideoCore-IV-Programmers-Manual

If we can't do that, it's a waste of good silicon.

If I were to port the FoNC SW onto something new, I'd never go into HW
without public specs. I have quite a lot of ideas for applications (AI, ML,
OCR etc.) that would benefit from extra processing power. So much power,
and it should go to waste? The very idea just gives me the creeps.

But I somehow can't avoid the feeling that from this perspective, anything
ARM-based on the market is still inferior to stuff like AMD T40E and the
like. Do you know of any truly FLOSS friendly ARM SoCs, by any chance?

Gath