David Barbour <dmbarb...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Casey Ransberger
> <casey.obrie...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> The computer is going to keep getting smaller. How do you program a phone?
>> It would be nice to be able to just talk to it, but it needs to be able --
>> in a programming context -- to eliminate ambiguity by asking me questions
>> about what I meant. Or *something.*
>>

> Well, once computers get small enough that we can easily integrate them
> with our senses and gestures, it will become easier to program again.
>
> Phones are an especially difficult target (big hands and fingers, small
> screens, poor tactile feedback, noisy environments). But something like
> Project Glass or AR glasses could project information onto different
> surfaces - screens the size of walls, effectively - or perhaps the size of
> our moleskin notebooks [1]. Something like myo [2] would support pointer
> and gesture control without much interfering with our use of hands.

There is a distinction between "programming a mobile phone" and
"programming when mobile".

I can easily program my phone right now: I plug it into a USB port,
bring up the USB network, SSH into it, apt-get some tools and off I
go.

I can't program easily when I'm in the middle of a field, with no
infrastructure around me other than the phone and possibly a wireless
network connection. Believe me, on-screen keyboards and bash don't play
well together ;) This is where ad-hoc programming like speech commands
become interesting.

Cheers,
Chris