On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Casey Ransberger
<casey.obrie...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thought I had: when a program hits an unhandled exception, we crash, often
> there's a hook to log the crash somewhere.
>
> I was thinking: if a system happens to be running an optimized version of
> some algorithm, and hit a crash bug, what if it could fall back to the
> suboptimal but conceptually simpler "Occam's explanation?"
>
> All other things being equal, the simple implementation is usually more
> stable than the faster/less-RAM solution.
>
> Is anyone aware of research in this direction?

This sounds fairly close to "compiler deoptimization", which is fairly
common in just-in-time compiler technology (see v8, the self system,
probably jvms do it also ...). Perhaps you could start there?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.36.4338
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~urs/oocsb/self/papers/dynamic-deoptimization.html

-- Dirk