Ian, or anyone else familiar with maru internals.

What is the purpose of the decode(...) function?  I see that it is doing a
substitution of symbols for Fixed and Subr where appropriate; why is this
not be handled in subr_eval_symbol(...)?

Is decode(...) preparing something for eval(...) that would be hard to do
from within eval(...)?

Continuing, we see that decode(...) must make accommodations for special
forms like lambda and let.  In both cases it prepends bindings to the
environment that are set to nil.  Presumably the bindings are intended for
the recursion that comes from enlist(...); at which point the same process
repeats for each element of the lambda/let.  Why are these bindings
relevant to the recursive call?

This is with respect to the minimal maru available in the google code
repository; although maru-2.4 appears to have a very similar but more
developed decode(...) mechanism.

Thanks,
Aaron