>From what I've read, git uses a DAG.  I'm not quite sure what makes it
better than XML except people love to hate XML.  I think people who embrace
c, c++, java have tended to jump on the xml bandwagon because those
languages suck at doing things like xml, unless you enjoy using arrays of
object arrays.  I've actually written SAX parsers to go from XML to Java
and back again.  Exercise left to reader.