There are two assumptions that do not generally hold.
1) Both sides of links are always available at the same time (not true in
case of NFS that is often symlinked). Just consider the case of notebook
taken home and file system change in mean time.
2) There is a permission to change file system on the destination of the
link (not true in the case of readonly remote file systems and DVDs).
3) Also, why the server file system should absorb additional cost for the
each client? Is not it a hole to DoS it?

Best Regards,
Constantine Plotnikov