>Will it be possible to use the ST API to print even when there is no X
>server running? Will ST print using languages other than PostScript?

ST does not require X and does not print itself.  I have implemented a
simple demo using GD that uses ST to render text to PNG images without
ever touching X (it's available in the sample code directory of the ST
source distribution).  There is nothing restricting a print engine using ST
from outputing PostScript, PCL or a raster file format - ST will support
both outline and bitmap output at any resolution you can specify.

        -Alan Coopersmith-      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Software Systems Group
         Cust. Advocacy & Tech Services: X11 Engineering