GC> Given that mkfontscale can handle multiple directories with one
GC> invokation, I would not lean toward your current approach.

>> Sorry, I'm not following.  Could you please be a wee bit more explicit?

GC> With ttmkfdir you can do:

GC>   ttmkfdir  -d /usr/share/fonts/dir1  -o /usr/share/fonts/fonts.scale
GC>   ttmkfdir  -d /usr/share/fonts/dir2  -o /usr/share/fonts/test.scale

GC> and fonts.scale is created in the first directory but test.scale
GC> is created in the second.

I understand that.  I was confused by the use of ``given'' in your
first statement.

Mkfontscale works that way because I want it to be consistent with
mkfontdir.  If you have an extension to that behaviour to suggest, I'm
listening.

One possibility would be a -o flag that only makes sense when no more
than one directory is specified.  Would that significantly increase
your happinness?

(You have to consider that hacking command-line parsers significantly
decreases mine, and we have to make sure that the total amount of
happinness in the universe remains at least constant.)

                                        Juliusz