>| On an unrelated note, XFree was also deciding that my screen's
>| resolution is 88x89 dpi without any indication on my part of that being the
>| case (no DisplaySize line in XF86Config). That is a bad practice, since it
>| resulted in TT fonts being rendered very poorly (stretched). I think XFree
>| should not guess assymmetric DPIs no matter what, and, better yet, stick to
>| 75 or 100 dpi for the default.
>
>It's a _feature_, it's not a bug (X can detect correct values for your
>display/graphics adpater, using VESA specs, AFAIK)!
>If you want to *override* those dpi settings - set dpi for your X server

>manually.

Ok, I buy that. However,  in my experience, this has caused ugliness on a large number of systems.

My Freetype is fine (or at least, no older than 2.1.2 -- computer not with me; I forgot if I installed 2.1.3), and after the dpi adjustment the rendering looks just as good as on Win32. Thanks for the suggestions, however.

Best,

Alexey Spiridonov