KP> The glyph spacing is set as a part of each embedded glyph image;

Calls for a fontconfig option to use the scalable spacing for embedded
bitmaps?  DPS used to have that.

(Actually, if memory serves, it was a three-state switch: use bitmap
metrics, use scalable metrics, and use bitmap metrics with retouching
in order to get scalable metrics on average.  How they did that in a
procedural API is beyond me.)

KP> it appears that the font you're using is just broken.  I beleve
KP> you can probably use pfaedit to both verify this and even fix it.

Current pfaedit will drop the instructions (hints).

                                        Juliusz