Michael Felsberg wrote:
Hi,

I updated to XFree 4.3 and have some trouble with the fonts:
problem: fc-cache hangs in the cyrillic font-dir
solution: I removed the cyrillic fonts (don't need them)
problem: the text in certain widget sets does not show up, instead the buttons become _very_ wide (about 10 screens)
solution: ?
problem: although I can preview the misc-fixed fonts with xfontsel, they are invisible in KDE (e.g. konsole).
solution: ?

Does anybody have an idea?

When you upgrade to XFree86 you also upgrade Xft, so you need to rebuild Qt with the new version of Xft.

It is also possible that you will need to delete all files: font.cache* and run: "fc-cache" again.

The fonts probably don't show up in the Konsole because: "fc-cache" didn't find them.

KDE installs three fonts in: "$KDEDIR/share/fonts/". One of these is 9x15.pcf.gz which is used in Konsole. If this isn't: /usr/share/fonts/", move the fonts there and replace the directory: "$KDEDIR/share/fonts/" with a link. If: "pc-cache" doesn't find them, UnGzip the three fonts.

When you run: "pc-cache -v" what does it show for: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/". If it doesn't find the fonts, the problem is a bit obscure. I found that: "fc-cache" doesn't find the fonts on install and it doesn't find them unless I have PanGo for GNOME-2.2 installed.

--
JRT