As a workaround, you can probably fork out a new 1.2 JVM from 1.1 in order
to run stuff like FOP+Batik that requires the 1.2 API. Integration that way
isn't exactly clean, but it is a valid workaround that's been used many
times elsewhere :-)

Upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2 is probably a much much bigger headache than say
1.2->1.3. Best of luck.

-Kelly