I suppose this question to be OT even in fop-user.
Anyhow, study the appended code
and above all study some XSLT tutorials.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
 xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <fo:root>
      <xsl:apply-templates />
    </fo:root>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="//PICTURE">
    <fo:block>
      <fo:external-graphic>
        <xsl:attribute name="src">
          <xsl:text>file:</xsl:text>
          <xsl:value-of select="@source" />
        </xsl:attribute>
      </fo:external-graphic>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="//PUNCTURE">
    <xsl:variable name="source">
      <xsl:value-of select="@source" />
    </xsl:variable>
    <fo:block>
      <fo:external-graphic src="file:{$source}" />
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>