Hi, all

Given the recent discussion over formatting, I thought it was worth pointing
out the existence of the jEdit text editor, in case you are unaware of it, or
haven't really looked at it, or looked at an early version and became
disillusioned.

I am neither a knee-jerk proponent of Java nor an evangelist of any
particular text editor. I tend to prefer UltraEdit on Windows, Alpha on MacOS
(BBEdit ain't bad), and jEdit on UNIX/Linux, but sometimes use vi, emacs, or
anything else that works.

Version 3.1final for jEdit has some really cool features and I recommend
checking it out. Get as many of the plugins as you can; chief among them is
the 'astyle' plugin, which is set up as a bean and therefore can have its
properties edited (changed). So you can immediately beautify/format your code
in your editor.

jEdit is also one of the few editors I have found (ColdFusion is another)
which is set up to do 'collapse' right out of the box.

There is also a Java Class Wizard plugin; couple that with the Get/Set Method
macros and the CodeAid plugin, and you will improve your productivity a lot.
In fact, if you happen to be an aficionado of JBuilder then you will be
getting a lot of familiar editing features in a package that is much smaller
and appreciably faster.

The other features are on a par with other leading text editors.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom
--
Fairly Senior Software Type