Steve,
With the latest version (0.20.1) I get the same result with the awt
previewer and the pdf output. THis means that at least the even-odd problem
is fixed.
As for the viewBox - I'm not really sure how it should work and applies
when embedding inside xsl-fo. If you simply need to change the size you
could scale it.