Hi, Joshua

Inheritable properties can be placed on any FO. They propagate to all
children of that FO (and for all other FOs, starting with the root, have the
initial value for that property). They are "virtual" properties, insofar as
for any given FO they may not be applicable.

'space-before' is _not_ inheritable in any case, so it is something of a
moot point. What you are confusing that with is the possibility of using the
"inherit" keyword, which is a different beast.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

At 12:28 PM 8/17/01 +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>Sorry about the cross post, I just posted this to [EMAIL PROTECTED],
but thought as the difference is in two versions of FOP, someone here could
help me understand my problem.

>I'm quite new to using XSL-FO and have got a question about what is
correct syntax for XSL-FO regarding property inheritance. I recently
upgraded from FOP 0.17 to FOP 0.20.1.

>I have some XSL that generates the following snippet:
>   <fo:table-row space-before="12pt">
>      <fo:table-cell>
>        <fo:block>Some block text</fo:block>
>      </fo:table-cell>
>   </fo:table-row>
>
>With FOP 0.17 this put a 12pt space between this row and the previous row,
but with FOP 0.20.1 it doesn't.

>>From what I can find in the spec 7.9.5 [1], the space-before inherits
from it's parent. The spec also mentions that inheritable properties 5.1.4
[2] can be put in any formatting object and subsequent children will pick
up the property.

>However, space-before isn't a valid property for a table-row.
>
>So, I'm assuming it is incorrect to put the space-before attribute in the
table-row element? Can someone explain how the inheritance thing works then?

>Again, sorry about the cross post.
>
>Thanks a lot,
>Joshua
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#space-before