Thanks for these suggestions,. I think I've narrowed down the problem to
font-embedding.

If I use Helvetica in my xsl:fo, then I can export to rtf without problems,
but using the Arial metrics files I created and embedding these results in
garbled rtf output. Viewing the Document properties in Acrobat lists the
fonts as multibyte e.g
Original Font:  1E3f38Arial
Type:           TrueType(CID)
Encoding:       Identity-H
Actual Font:    Embedded
Type:           TrueType

On the other hand, a pdf using Acrobat Distiller from Word
Original Font:  Arial
Type:           TrueType
Encoding:       Windows
Actual Font:    ArialMT
Type:           Type 1

Has anyone else successfully converted a FOP pdf to rtf containing embedded
fonts? Could the problem be in the metrics creation? Or is it possible to
use the fonts without embedding them?

Thanks

Ralph Bruno