Hi Colin,
        in your example you forget to write the <fo:page-master-reference
BTW this example breaks FOP and I think is a bug ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
<fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:simple-page-master margin-bottom="10mm" margin-right="10mm"
margin-left="10mm"  margin-top="10mm" page-width="210mm" page-height="297mm"
master-name="PortraitA4">

<fo:region-body margin-bottom="10mm" margin-right="10mm" margin-left="10mm"
margin-top="10mm"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>

<fo:page-sequence-master master-name="test">
   <fo:single-page-master-reference master-name="PortraitA4"/>
</fo:page-sequence-master>
</fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:page-sequence master-name="PortraitA4">
<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
        <fo:block>This is the first unpositioned block inside the flow
        <fo:block absoulute-position="auto" background-color="blue"
top="5mm"  left="5mm" height="10mm" width="45mm">
                <fo:block>inside</fo:block>
        </fo:block-container>
        </fo:block>
        <fo:block>This is the second unpositioned block inside the
flow</fo:block>
</fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

                                        Fabio

<fo:simple-page-master margin-bottom="10mm" margin-right="10mm"
margin-left="10mm"  margin-top="10mm" page-width="210mm" page-height="297mm"
master-name="PortraitA4">

<fo:region-body margin-bottom="10mm" margin-right="10mm" margin-left="10mm"
margin-top="10mm"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>
</fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:page-sequence master-name="PortraitA4">
<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
<fo:block line-height="30mm">
        <fo:block-container absolute-position="auto" background-color="blue"
top="5mm"  left="5mm" height="10mm" width="45mm">
                <fo:block>inside</fo:block>
        </fo:block-container>
</fo:block>
</fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Q1. Is this valid? and should it produce the result i am looking for?

block inside region-body
--------------
|\           |
| \5mm x 5mm |
|  \_______  |
|  |inside | |
|  |_______| |

If I run this through fop 0.20.1, it falls over, because BlockContainer is
expecting an AreaContainer object that it can use to get X and Y coords. By
modifying that code to use the Area object instead of the AreaContainer when
the parent is a BlockArea it doesn't fall over anymore but I can only get a
thin blue line at the top of the block. Unfortunately I don't really have a
clue about Java other than the basics, so I don't understand how these
blocks and containers are positioned.

Colin.