Hi, all

I finally buckled, and initiated a SourceForge project to develop a
C-language XSL-FO formatter. The link is
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xslfo-proc/. Right now there is nothing
there...I want to get some people signing up, and register interest.

This is for all those developers out there that like the technology (XSL)
but aren't turning cartwheels over Java. That includes me.

I haven't been able to devote as much time to FOP as I would like, both
because of work and also because of a significant developing personal
relationship (yeah, yeah :-)), but my intention is definitely not to do less
with FOP. I have committed to helping out with the design ideas suggested by
Keiron, and have identified a portion that I want to do, and I want to
complete marker support. I am also very interested in ensuring that we seek
better integration with projects like Cocoon and X-Smiles.

The goal behind the SourceForge project is to develop a fast (and I mean
fast) low-memory footprint XSL formatter that is optimized for use as a C
library. I personally really like SWIG, and I would like to emphasize the
development of the APIs so that they are well-suited for SWIGging into
Python, Perl, Ruby, and what have you.

I prefer to avoid C++. If someone wishes to make arguments for C++ I'll
listen to them, but I think OOP is unnecessary for a good solution to the
XSL formatting problem. In fact, I am now leaning towards the idea that a
procedural design that de-emphasizes the data somewhat, and emphasizes the
layout process, is the way to go. Ideas about flattening the area tree
figure in my thinking here. I think Java is really bad for promoting the
idea that everything should be an object, and I am not sure that this is not
complicating our work with FOP.

The idea is that this will eventually be folded back into XML Apache (I
hope) as a sub-sub-project under FOP. And I also want design ideas developed
during the work on 'xslproc' to inform work on FOP.

Anyway, there it is, and I hope to see C/C++/scripting language people who
are also interested in XSL-FO, support this project. BTW, I have no real
stake in being the design lead, although I obviously have ideas, so if
someone wants to take charge, feel free. If not, then I will.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)