Some experience i had over the past few days:

 I am trying to use velocity(1.1) and FOP(CVS) in the same servlet
application.
 I get a clash in versions of logkit used. I use the latest FOP sources from
CVS,
 which  uses logkit1.0b4.  Using velocity 1.1, i could not figure out which
 version of logkit is being used. the dist contains a log.jar. Using the
 logkit1.0b4 jar, the avalon logging system in velocity cant find a
setFormat
 method in FileOutputLogTarget. In the reverse, using only the velocity
jars,
 FOP complains about some other method!

 For a while, i debated writing my own custom class loaders :). I got the
 whole thing to work by writing my own (almost dummy) LogSystem (not a happy
 situation, certainly). I did not want to use Log4j in velocity (which is
 possible to plug into velocity), since FOP in any case uses logkit.

 Mails to the velocity dev-list (thanks Geir!) revealed that the latest CVS
 version (1.2dev) of velocity did not have this problem, and worked well
with
 the latest issue of logkit. Subsequently the velocity build process has
been
 updated to optionally  build a no dependencies jar, and also to use a
version-
 numbered jar for logkit.

 In view of the this, i strongly feel that for a component that is used
accross
 multiple projects, few API changes and a long deprecation period is
essential.
 Its similar to the issue Sam Ruby raised about batik/FOP and cocoon,
coordinating
 upgrades become difficult.