You could try using getOutputStream and then building your own Writer by
putting on an encoding. The IllegalState is because you can't use the
Writer and the OutputStream in the same servlet.
But it seems to me if you've already written something to the output and
the FOP output is appended on to that, it won't be a legal PDF file...

-Karen