Title: pdf freeze due to image?

We have an intermittent problem with out pdf's that are created with FOP 19.  For some reason the image referred to in:

 <fo:external-graphic src=""http://whatever.gif"/>

does not always display.  When it does display on the Adobe pdf screen, many time the user's Win2K system freezes and they have to shut down Adobe 5 completely and start again.

We checked out the Adobe site and see that there is an issue logged with printing (which is also sometimes a freezing problem) but we seemed to have it narrowed down to something with the external graphic.

That is, when I take out the fo:external-graphic link, the system doesn't freeze.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Linda