Just in case anyone is interested, see this benchmarking from an earlier
post. I still haven't figured out what causes the serious degradation on
Unix with two or more concurrent reports. But I did find out it only
occurs when running FOP on a servlet inside Weblogic! Two separate Java
processes don't see the same degradation. I'm sure BEA support will
figure out this problem in no time.

<<<>>>
To benchmark I used a servlet with embedded FOP to render a 200 page PDF
document from an XSLT
transform on a static XML-file (no database connection is involved).
Both boxes are running Weblogic 6.1. The
XSLT transform takes very little time compared to the FOP renderer. I've
tried a DomSource for input, a SaxSource, and the
XSLTInputHandler. The results are almost exactly the same in each case.

Below are the results I see. Initial heap size=max heap size in each
case.
Each server is running the latest JDK 131 (w/Hotspot). (I have set all
the
HP system variables (max_thread_proc, etc.) to Sun recommendations.)

Nt dev box (NT4-Worksatation, PIII-933mhz, 512MB ram):
Heap Size=64M, 1 report   =  251ms/page
Heap Size=64M, 2 reports  =  750ms/page
Heap Size=256M, 1 report  =  245ms/page
Heap Size=256M, 2 reports =  500/page

HP server (HP-Unix, 2x550 mhz, 2GB ram):
Heap Size=64M, 1 report =  545ms/page (frequent out of memory errors)
Heap Size=64M, 2 reports  =  didn't try
Heap Size=256M, 1 report  =  372ms/page
Heap Size=256M, 2 reports =  1700ms/page
Heap Size=512M, 1 report  =  350ms/page
Heap Size=512M, 2 reports =  1675ms/page

The only difference I can see for sure between the two boxes is that the
NT
machine performs at least 10 times as much garbage collection.
(Sometimes
several times per page, as opposed to once every 8-10 pages on the NT
box.)
Garbage collection occurs a little more frequenly on the HP box when I
lower
the heap size, but still not nearly as often as on the NT--at any heap
size.
Also the HP box runs out of memory if I lower the heap size. I was
hoping
this was due to some HP setting, but I'm starting to come to the
conclusion
that it's just some difference in the hotspot implementations.
<<<>>>