Matt,

The short answer is "no". The value must be specified as a fixed length
or as a percentage which is interpreted relative to the page height, so
it's still a fixed value.

So your options are:
1) make extent large enough to contain your biggest possible header
2) depending on the structure of your documents, put the entire document
into an fo:table and put the header part into the fo:table-header.

Regards,
Karen