I have had very good success by using small page sequences.  Using page
sequences of between one and ten pages I have been able to produce PDF and
Postscript files up to 3,500 pages with no trouble on my laptop using java
memory settings of -Xms128 -Xmx160.  You should try and keep the VM memory
size a reasonable amount less than the physical memory of your machine or
you might experience excessive memory thrashing.

BTW, my XML file of 27Meg was too big to pass trough XALAN so I have been
using SAXON to do produce the XSL:FO

Trev

                    "Xingjian

                    Shangguan"            To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    <shangguanhe@ho       cc:

                    tmail.com>            Subject:     How to avoid using too much
memory to
                                           create relatively large PDF file

                    15/11/2001

                    01:16 AM

                    Please respond

                    to fop-dev

Hi,

I am using most recent FOP, Xalan and Xerces to create PDF from the
relatively large amount of data from database.

The program works like this: I first get data from database, produce XML
and
use Xalan to process xml/xsl to create FO, then I use FOP to create PDF
file.  I am able to create PDF files without any problem, however, I need
manually allocate a lot of memory to process the FO (like 80M).  The vast
amount of memory is needed exactly when FO is processed to create PDF file.

My FO create from my XML data and XSL is as large as 1.5M.  Does any one
have any idea how can I avoid occupying too much memory.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

Sean

Xingjian Shangguan
(732) 424-3980 (H)