I tried the footnote trick but I have the following problem: if the
footnote doesnt fit in the first page, it has to go on the second with the
reference still on the first. I then have a nasty exception (it works fine
if everything is on the first page):

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.java:1212)

        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:2894)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
---------
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.TableBody.layout(TableBody.java:96)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Table.layout(Table.java:226)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.FootnoteBody.layout(FootnoteBody.java:72)

        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Footnote.layoutFootnote(Footnote.java:89)

        at org.apache.fop.layout.Page.setPendingFootnotes(Page.java:201)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.makePage(PageSequence.java:344)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.format(PageSequence.java:266)
        at
org.apache.fop.apps.StreamRenderer.render(StreamRenderer.java:191)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.endElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:178)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.ResultTreeHandler.endElement(ResultTreeHandler.java:284)

        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemLiteralResult.execute(ElemLiteralResult.java:749)

        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemForEach.transformSelectedNodes(ElemForEach.java:495)

        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.execute(ElemApplyTemplates.java:193)

        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java:2154)

        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java:2097)

        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.applyTemplateToNode(TransformerImpl.java:2029)

        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.java:1189)

        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:2894)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:464)
        at com.vth.lp.PrintInvoice.main(PrintInvoice.java:90)