Karen,

What do you make of the following direction in 5.11?

"Compound values of properties are inherited as a unit and not as
individual components. After inheritance any complete form specification
for a component is used to set its value."

I take this to mean that individual compund component element
specifications are never inherited.  So that, in the example given jest
before the quoted sentences, viz.

Quote<<

space-before="4.0pt"
space-before.maximum="6.0pt"

is equivalent to a specification of

space-before.minimum="4.0pt"
space-before.optimum="4.0pt"
space-before.maximum="6.0pt"
space-before.precedence="0"
space-before.conditionality="discard"

 >>EndQuote

the space-before.maximum of "6.0pt" cannot be inherited.  The inherited
value of space-before.maximum on the child of the flow object on which
it was set, will be "4.0pt".  So maximum must be set specifically on any
element on which it is desired to vary from the norm, or
from-nearest-specified-value() called.

If that is a correct interpretation, it also means that the "default"
value for components other than <length>s or <keep>s can never be
anything other than the initial value, because I don't believe there is
any provision for setting other values on the compound element itself.

Is that the way you see it, or do I have this wrong?