My apologies, I am using the latest ( I think) version, that is
Fop-0.20.2RC

                    Keiron Liddle

                    <keiron@aftexs       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    w.com>               cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: SVG Text. Character spacing
problems. Help!
                    19/12/2001

                    07:59 PM

                    Please respond

                    to fop-dev

It works fine for me.
I presume the problem is that you have an older version of FOP. It is
always a good idea to actually tell us what version you are using.