After a bit of a think I realise that this statement isn't completely
true. Pages may still contain unresolved page numbers or links. What I
meant is that the layout can be completed and pages that are finished can
be rendered. The layout managers themselves can do this a page at a time.

If pages cannot be rendered immediately due to unresolved things or
formats like rtf then we should be able to cache the pages, if not they
must stay in memory but this info is for later.