Hmm, good question. How is "punt" for an answer?
Seriously, that's probably another case of delayed evaluation. Though I
think the issue concerns the descendants of "marker" and not the
properties on "marker" itself which are said to be ignored.
This is certainly not handled correctly as it stands.
I really hate those cases where property evaluation depends on where the
stuff is laid out.

-Karen