From: Savino, Matt C [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 5:00 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: FO -> PDF works with Netscape, not with IE

If you have to support older verisons of IE (<5.5), you'll also have to take
a couple of steps to avoid calling FOP 2 or 3 times. One you'll want to look
out for User-Agent='contype' in the request header, and only return the
content type, not the actual content. But this isn't enough (even though
Microsoft says it is). IE < 5 likes to request the PDF doc, then kill the
request, then request the contype, then request the doc again. Except
sometimes, and under no reproduceable set of conditions I could discern, IE
accepts the whole document on the first request. Which means you can't just
only call FOP and return the whole doc on the third hit. The only full
solution I've seen so far is to cache the PDF byte-array in the session
after the first hit, then return it if requested on the third hit. (credit
Jim Urban I believe) This doesn't save you from sending the PDF out over the
wire twice, but it does save calling FOP twice. And so far the latter has
proven to be much more time and resource-consuming. I've attached the
servlet I use to generate HTML and PDF. It's kind of a mess, but you should
be able to find all the pieces.

One note: it's possible setting the 'Content-Disposition' as described below
may clear up the problem. I remember experimenting with Content-Disposition
a long time ago, but I didn't like the way it brought up two consecutive
'Save As...' dialogs.

Matt Savino