I have a newbie question concerning the XSL parsing in FOP.  I think I have
everything set up correctly because all the test work fine.  However, I have
series of really simple xsl files that parse with other tools.  But, the FOP
application (more precisely xalan) can't seem to parse anything?!?  I'm not
sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm running the command "fop -xml hello.xml -xsl
hello.xsl -pdf hello.pdf" and get a  Unknown formatting object error:

[INFO]: FOP 0.20.3
[INFO]: building formatting object tree
[ERROR]: Unknown formatting object ^html
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.j
ava:1212)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:2894)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
---------
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:276)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.QueuedStartElement.flush(QueuedStartElement.jav
a:286)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.ResultTreeHandler.flushPending(ResultTreeHandle
r.java:774)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.ResultTreeHandler.endElement(ResultTreeHandler.
java:283)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemLiteralResult.execute(ElemLiteralResult.java:
749)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(Transform
erImpl.java:2154)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(Transform
erImpl.java:2097)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.applyTemplateToNode(Transformer
Impl.java:2029)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.j
ava:1189)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:2894)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
[ERROR]: null

I don't see why as the xslt file is dead simple:
hello.xsl:
  <?xml version="1.0"?>
        xsl:version="1.0">

The xml file is even simpler:
  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="hello.xsl"?>
  <greeting>Hello world.</greeting>

What am I doing wrong?   Is there some special xslt standard that I don't
know about. Even if someone could provide me with some references and
links concerning xslt sample for FOP that would be great.  The current
doc is somewhat lacking in this area.

I took a look at http://www.owal.co.uk:8090/asf/servlet/asf/ and there seems
to be nothing there.  So I apologize if this is a newbie question.

Thanks,
        Shawn