Greetings FOP team.

I was noticing the other day that, when I attempted to embed FOP in some software that
I was writing, that the default activity for Driver.run() when no other XML parser is
specified is this-

*Check for a system property, if found use that property to create a SAX parser.
*If no property is found, create an org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser and use that.
*Attempt to cast the parser to an XMLReader.  If the cast fails, return FOPException
explaining that the parser is not a SAX driver.

Despite the fact that Xerces 1.44 Javadoc says that an
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser implements XMLReader, the cast still fails (Is
this maybe because Xerces 1.2.3 did not support this?), which means that the default
Driver.run() is not working (at least, not on my system).  I was able to code around
this by instantiation my own XMLReader-implementing parser and using Driver.render()
instead, but if Driver.run() is going to exist, it needs to work right.

I saw no mention of this in Bugzilla, but I could have easily missed it.  Is this a
known issue that someone is resolving?  If it is not, I'm happy to volunteer.

--
J. Rhett Aultman
Business Technology Solutions