Hi Matthias,

Since the 2 svg sources are effectively two different svg documents as
far as xml and batik are concerned then you cannot reference elements as
if they are in the same document (ie. "#myElement").
You would need a full url that points to the other svg document which as
faar as I know is not possible.
The easiest thing would be to put your common elements into an external
svg file and reference them using the url to that file.

Keiron.