Joerg,

Joerg Pietschmann wrote:
> "Peter B. West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Obviously there is a need for some documention with normal releases.  We
>>don't need the design docs in the user releases, but all of the
>>operational material, including the FAQs, is necessary.
>>
>>If we were to do source and compiled releases, the xml-docs could go
>>into the source release, for generation by the user.  Vice versa, the
>>generated html (and pdf docs?)
>
> +1 on omitting the design doc completely in bin distributions.
> Should probably omit skin source and xsl too.
> I'm not sure about PDF, apparently there are not much requests
> for this format.

I think html is more generally useful for user support documentation.
It would be much, much preferable to keep html and exclude PDF than the
reverse.

> What's larger:
> - PDF
> - xdocs +  *2document.xsl + document2fo + build mechanism for building PDF
>   (includes ant.jar?)
> - xdocs + full xsl + build mechanism for building PDF
> This may need some explanation: We have documents using a generic
> document.dtd and some documents liks FAQs which have to be
> transformed into document.dtd xdocs before the final skin
> document2html.xsl can be applied. When using ant for building,
> this requires either temporary files (current solution) or a
> custom task for the transformation pipelines (or Cocoon CLI)

Is this xsl part of Forrest, or something you have done?

>>need to be included in binary releases
>>(with the proviso above, that the design docs are not needed.)  It looks
>>as though reworking is needed in the build.xml to accommodate these
>>distinctions.  How does that sound?
>

> That's exactly what I'm currently doing, the HTML and the
> intermediate document-DTD files are produced in the build
> directory. Unfortunately, as I already noted, it's an
> all-or-nothing thing unless you are comfortable with broken
> doc builds for some time.
> If this is ok, I can commit the first half tomorrow...

I think we can live with it.  (quietly... a working branch is very handy
for this sort of thing...)

Peter
--
Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest