These (and other) problems are precisely why certain areas have been
redesigned.
Wouldn't it be better to put the effort into getting the new code to
work?

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 10:57, Joerg Pietschmann wrote:
> I put a StringBuffer into FObjMixed to accumulate
> consecutive addCharacters() events.

This is probably a good idea in general. Sometimes the SAX events can
split text in all sort of places and it would be easier to handle if all
consecutive text is joined together.

> Questions:
> - Is it still worth to do major hacks in LineArea.java?

If you want to get rid of all the bugs, I would say no.

> There are additional issues with consecutive spaces which had
> been discussed here already, in particular how
>   foo <fo:inline text-decoration="underline"> bar</fo:inline>
> should be handled. Will this result in two consecutive spaces,
> one of them underlined? Has this issue been resolved meanwhile?

IIRC the space in the inline is "marked" and therefore this space is
retained while the other space is discarded.