I tried the whole day to locate it ... I removed some other templates (not
in any way related to TT) and suddenly the error disappeared.
But nevertheless the removed templates are NOT responsible for the error.
Because at a second time I removed other templates and kept these one I
removed first and the error also disappeared.
It's really frustrating. I tried some other templates, but I start to
believe that it's unimportant WHAT template I remove, but not HOW MUCH
templates I remove.

I also tried to modify my stylesheet (btw: this following is the only
template with uses id="{generate-id()}", all the others use a unique
attribute id="@ID"):

<xsl:template match="TT">
    <xsl:if test="not(preceding::*[generate-id(.)=generate-id(current())])
and
                  not(ancestor::*[generate-id(.)=generate-id(current())])">
        <fo:block id="{generate-id(.)}" xsl:use-attribute-sets="tt">
                <xsl:apply-templates />
        </fo:block>
    </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

But this doesn't change anything.

At the next step I tried to use the old fop-0.20.3, but this also doesn't
change anything.
To do a simple verification of my stylesheet, i also removed the id=".."
attribute and, as assumed, everything else worked fine.

Any other ideas?

ps:
maybe is unimportant, maybe not, ... but here ist my system:
Win2K SP2
Sun Java SDK 1.4.1