I am currently working on a project where FOP is embedded
in my Servlet and I have got to say it all works really slick.

One of the issues I ran into was keeping a balance between
where I kept my XML/XSL Files and the XML Font files.
I think it would of been much cleaner / easier  if I could of
specified  two directories, BaseDir and FontDir. If backwards
compatibility  is an  issue, the FontInfo class could fallback from
FontDir to BaseDir.

My $.02

Regards
John G