Great work Peter!
It makes a lot of sense to use higher-level than SAX events, and thanks for
explaining this so clearly.

If you allow me a suggestion regarding the structure of the code: maybe using
some table-driven stuff instead of the many if statements in
FoSimplePageMaster would be more readable?

Something like:

class EventHandler
{
  EventHandler(String regionName,boolean discardSpace,boolean required)
}

/** table of event handlers that must be applied, in order */
EventHandler [] handlers = {
  new EventHandler(FObjectNames.REGION_BODY,true,true),
  new EventHandler(FObjectNames.REGION_BEFORE,true,false)
};

...then, in FoSimplePageMaster(...) loop over handlers and let them process
the events.

I don't know if this applies in general but it might be clearer to read and
less risky to modify.

-Bertrand